Paper Mâché Letter N

Okay, my baby just turned 9 months old and had a photo shoot to capture her at this time. So, as a prop I decided to take a paper mâché large letter N that I purchased from Joann's and do something special to it. This is a project that just about anybody can do. Here's what the finished product looks like...

Now, I'll let you in on what I did to get to this end... Here's what the bare letter looks like off the shelf...

I purchased this letter from Joann's. It's about 23" tall. I believe the website says it's 23.5" tall. You can find it on their website or in stores. It's about 2 inches thick so it will stand up on it's own. On a side note... If you don't like the fonts that are on the shelves you can make your own letter. I found this blog that has great steps to tell you how. The supplies that I used were as follows:

Paper Mâché Letter N (Joann's $9.99... on sale $1 off)
3 or 4 sheets of card stock paper (Joann's 6/$0.96)
2 large artificial roses (Joann's $1.99/each... on sale 30% off)
Small bouquet of artificial roses with water drop detail (Joann's $1.99... on sale 30%)
Small wooden butterfly (Joann's $0.59)
Wooden Alphabet letter set (Hobby Lobby $3.99)

First thing I did was to start cutting out my paper to paste onto the front of my letter. I laid my letter face down onto the back of a sheet of my paper starting with the top left of my letter. I traced it onto the back of the paper, cut out my shape and pasted it onto the front of my letter.

I repeated this going down my letter and across until I was finished. I made sure to put lots of paste onto the back of my paper the edges of my letter to make sure it would lay flat and all parts would be secure, especially the edges. You can use Mod Podge which I hear works great but since I had Elmer's glue already in my kit of supplies I used it instead and it seem to works just as well. Anyhow, after the paper is fully pasted onto the front I decided to paint the sides of my letter, white.


I used acrylic paint that I already had and used a paint brush to apply it. To add a soft affect I decided to fade the paint onto the front edges. To do this I dabbed a little paint at the edge and then used a slightly damped towel to smudge the paint a bit. You don't want your paint brush to have much paint on it for this. If you do, it'll come out too heavy. It's best to do this part as you go when painting the sides just allowing the brush to flick over the edge and then smudging as you go. That's what I did.

Next, I add my flowers. I had to think of how to get my flowers attached since most of them were connect to flower stems and even after cutting them, they all had some type of piece jetting out the back of them. My solution?... poke a hole in my letter (using a screw driver), hot glue the flower backs and insert the back of the flower into my newly created holes. This worked out perfectly. This way the flowers could stand up the way that I wanted.

Now, I want to add some bling. I used the same jewel pieces I used on a clock in one of my previous projects. I plugged up my glue gun and began gluing them one by one starting just underneath the flowers going down and over to the edge.

I think the jewels add some nice flare to the letter. Next, I wanted to add my baby's name and couple of other decorative pieces. I went out and search for some letters and settle on a set I found at Hobby Lobby. I painted them a pink color I created with some red and white acrylic paint. I also painted the heart shown. The butterfly I found at Joann's and it came in the color you see but I added a few jewel pieces to it as well.

I think it turned out pretty nice. What do you think? I also bought an unfinished stool from Hobby Lobby, painted it white and added her name along with some jewel pieces. I'll be sure to post a photo or 2 of it later.

Nina

Nashville area singer, actress, model and DIYer. I have a love for music and the arts. I'm also a bit of a math/computer geek. I've always thought of myself as being artistic and have grown to love interior decorating. ... I like to draw, paint, create unique things, give life to old things and learn more in the world of design. I also enjoy spending time with my family, playing sports, hanging out with friends, and working on my health and fitness.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nina! Thanks so much for stopping by and following! I'm following you back. :O)

    I really like your adorable 'N'. So cute! I really like the jewels you put on.

    ~ www.billiemonster.com ~

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!... and please be nice. ;) Unfortunately, my comments are moderated due to spammers and those who like to post horrible things.